Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the Town Hall hours?

  • The Selectmen's Office is open M 9a-12p and 3p-5:30p (Selectmen meet at 5:30) Office closes when Selectmen Meeting has adjourned, W 9a-1p and TH 9a-12p
  • The Town Clerk is open Tuesday for walk ins 12:30p-4:30p. Appointments only at 5:00p, 5:30p and 6:00p. If there are no appointments, the office will close at 4:30 pm. Wednesday 9a-12p, 1p-4p and Thursday 8a-12p
  • The Tax Collector is open Monday 6p-7:30p and Wednesday 9a-12p
  • Please refer to subsections for other office hours

 When do I need to apply for a Building Permit?

A building permit shall be required prior to erection, addition, alteration, relocation or conversion to apartments of any building or structure or portion thereof.  Building permits are NOT required for detached structures with a floor area equal to or less than one hundred (100) square feet.  It shall be unlawful for any person to commence work for the erection, addition, alteration or relocation of any building or structure until a permit has been approved and issued by the Selectmen.  No building permit shall be required for normal maintenance activities, minor repairs and minor alterations that do not structurally alter or change a building or structure.

Application for a building permit: All applications for building permits shall be accompanied by plans and submitted by the owner or his agent, and shall show: [Rev- March 14, 2000]

A. The actual shape and dimensions of the lot to be built on;

B. The size and location on the lot of the building(s) or structure(s) to be erected or altered;

C. The location of all setback lines- front, side and rear;

D. The location of all septic system facilities and well(s) dimensions to setbacks; [Rev- March 14, 2000]

E. The location of wetlands and surface water; and [Adopted March 11, 1997]

F. Multi-family dwellings, conversion to multi-family dwellings, cluster developments of more than two dwelling units and structures associated with special exceptions require site plan review and approval by the Richmond Planning Board before issue of a building permit. [Adopted March 11, 1997]

G. Dimensional floor plan. [Adopted March 14, 2000]

If in doubt, call 603-239-4232

 Do I need a permit for a recreational fire?

A burn permit is needed for all open burning. Burning is only allowed between the hours of 5pm and 9am and the fire must be attended at all times until the fire is completely extinguished. There are only certain items that you are allowed to burn. Brush and wood cannot exceed 5 inches in diameter. It is illegal to burn household trash and items such as beds, dressers, etc., plastics, rubber, and painted or treated wood. Anyone found violating the permit laws could face a fine up to $2,000, a year in jail or both. You could also be held liable for the payment to the town or state of all expenses that were incurred in the extinguishing of the fire.  If you have any questions concerning a burn permit, please contact Buzz Shaw at 603-239-4238.

 What hours is the Transfer Station open?

TUESDAY    8am-4pm

THURSDAY  8am-7pm

SATURDAY  8am-5pm

 Who do I contact to rent the Vet's Hall?

Please call 603-239-4232 or email to rent the Veteran's Hall or reserve the Pavilion.  Ask to speak with Jen.